CMS Made Simple (CMSMS) is a free, open source (GPL) content management system (CMS) to provide developers, programmers and site owners a web-based development and administration area. In 2010 it won the Packt Publishing annual award for open source content management. Other systems with which they compared it include Drupal, WordPress, eZ Publish and Joomla!.
CMS Made Simple is an open source package, built using PHP with support for MySQL. Although PostgreSQL was previously supported, the developers chose to remove PostgreSQL support and recent versions no longer support any database except MySQL. The template system is driven using the Smarty Template Engine. CMS Made Simple aims to provide easy development and customization with themes, add-on modules, dynamic menus, tags and translations. When developing a new feature, the tab opens full of default text. The developer starts by erasing the bits he doesn’t need, and then adding further tags that link to plugins, known here as modules. As it suggests you customize existing working markup code.
CMS Made Simple has a web-based admin section for theme, template, and stylesheet development, installing and updating add-on modules, configuring page content blocks, and user groups and permissions.
CMS Made Simple itself is designed as a base package that does not impose unnecessary modules and functionality on the user. It requires that site owners add modules and tags appropriate to the site. A small number of core modules are included with the default installation, notably a news manager, search function, and WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE).
Plugins: add-on modules
- Form Builders
- Company and User Directories
- e-Commerce / shops
- Numerous additional modules are available via the module repository or Module Manager
- In 2008 it lacked
- Inventory management
- Support for third-party payment processing mechanisms (such as PayPal)
- Modules for shipping and sales tax calculators
- Shopping cart functionality
- which are available in Drupal, Joomla!, and WordPress that are needed building an e-commerce site
- CMSMS 2.0 Requires a web server with PHP 5.4.11+ enabled. PHP 5.5+ is recommended.
- PHAR support, putenv support and a working system temporary directory for the installation assistant.
- CMSMS 1.7 through 1.12.x require a minimum of PHP 5.2.4 (5.2.12 recommended).
- At least 16mb of available memory for PHP
- PHP tokenizer support enabled
- GD enabled for manipulating graphics files
- MySQL 4.1+
- Enough access to your server to upload files and change some permissions